If you’re moving into a new home or apartment for the first time, there are a few basic necessities you’ll want to have before you even begin packing. Our friends at Westway Electric Supply have put together a guide for first-time homeowners to make your new space feel immediately like home when you move in.
- Crockpot: New homeowners will learn that a Crockpot will quickly become their best friend. This handy kitchen tool makes cooking meals fast and easy. Simply toss the ingredients into the pot, turn it on, and forget about it. While you’re unpacking, arranging to have furniture delivered or cable installed, and trying to make sense of your first move, your meal will be cooking in the kitchen and ready for you to enjoy after you’ve dealt with the chaos.
- Cooking /Serving Utensils: Moving can really work up an appetite! You’ll want to bring cooking, serving, and eating utensils with you on the big day. This includes serving spoons, spatulas, and tongs, as well as standard forks, knives, and spoons to eat with. If you’re looking for a quick fix when you move, plastic wear will suffice until you purchase a nice set of table tableware. First-time homeowners should also invest in staples like quality measuring spoons and cups, oven mitts, and a can opener. Using your kitchen will be impossible without these accessories.
- Mattress: Moving is a stressful and tiring process, and you’re going to want to lie down somewhere at the end of the day. It’s best to purchase a mattress or bedroom set prior to moving, and arranging delivery for your move-in day. This way, you’re never without a comfortable space to sleep. If you haven’t purchased a bedroom set yet, or don’t have a mattress you can bring with you in your move, look into air mattresses. You’ll have a semi-comfortable space to sleep during the process of getting an actual bed.
- First Aid Kit: Like mom always said, “it’s better to be safe rather than sorry.” Invest in a super-sized first aid kit for your first home. Find one that includes various sized band-aids, ointments, tweezers, surgical scissors, gauze, and pain medication. This handy kit will serve its purpose at some point throughout your time at home, and it’s especially good to have during a move in case of any accidental bumping or bruising.
- Fire Extinguisher: As a new homeowner, you’ll quickly learn the importance of being prepared. Prior to your move, you should have homeowners insurance lined up for your new property, but you should still invest in a fire extinguisher. You will hopefully never have to use it, but it is still a good thing to have in case of emergency.
While you may not have all of the components necessary to set up your dream home, you should have the following 7 things arranged to take with you on moving day. Invest in these necessities to kick off owning a home the right way.